One of the many outstanding features of the Ride Custom 2 Cushion is that it can be easily modified in the field without compromising the moisture-resistance or integrity of the foam. When the need for modifications is identified at a final fitting, they can be completed on-site preventing delays in delivery. In this series of short videos, Ryan Crosby, Ride’s Senior Education and Technology Specialist, demonstrates the correct methods to use when modifications to the Ride Custom 2 Cushion are necessary.
Reports from the field indicate that ATPs are finding the AccuSoft Cushion to be a great solution for clients who benefit from an accurate shape and, because of the forgiving surface, the cushion functions well even in living situations when they may not always be positioned as precisely.
Get up to speed by watching these videos — and consider how the AccuSoft Cushion might work for some clients:
From Ride’s perspective, the Complex Rehab Industry appears to be recovering well, as we are seeing incoming orders at a rate consistent with previous years. There remains uncertainty about the ability for recovery to continue at the current pace in the coming months. While we remain optimistic and committed to operating full-steam ahead, we encourage you to submit orders as soon as possible to ensure year-end delivery.
Thanks to all of you out in the field who are back at it — working with people whose lives often depend on getting appropriate seating and complex rehab technology.
Throughout 2020, Ride has been able to fulfill custom product orders within 12 days over 98% of the time. Recently 85% of custom orders have shipped within 8 days.
We love getting messages like this one, from Dave Blaser of NuMotion:
“You guys got inputted one of my castings on the 20th and it’s freaking at my door already… that’s 10 days for a Custom Back!”
We expect the usual uptick in orders as folks try to deliver seating systems before year-end. So we’re encouraging everyone to get their orders in the pipeline as soon as possible, especially with so many unknowns due to COVID-19. You can count on Ride to do everything we can to get your orders filled as quickly as possible.
We thank you for your business. Work smart, be well, Ride on!
“Even the simplest tools can empower people to do great things.” — Biz Stone
Evidence supports the Ride Java Cushion as the superior pre-fabricated wheelchair cushion solution for adjustable skin protection and positioning. (Learn more here.)
And… recently, we introduced the Custom AccuSoft™ Cushion, made specifically to match an individual’s unique shape, using a soft, forgiving foam. (Learn more about this amazing product here.)
So how are these two cushions related? Great question!
The suggested method for capturing a client’s shape to order a Custom AccuSoft Cushion has been the bead bag and vacuum system, which is then scanned and submitted to Ride via the RideWorks® app. While this remains a fantastic tool for determining the specs of an AccuSoft cushion, we now offer an even simpler way to order the AccuSoft Cushion –- by using the Java Cushion as an evaluation tool.
An inventory of sample Java Cushions can now serve an additional purpose. Use them to specify an AccuSoft Cushion from a trial evaluation, adjustment, and measurements.
When appropriate, this easy and time-saving method can replace the bead bag and vacuum pump method. The updated Custom AccuSoft Cushion order form is now available on the RideWorks app. Review the instructions for using the Java Cushion as an evaluator tool on page 5 of the order form, here.
Q: Has there been a change to the Custom AccuSoft Cushion?
A: Nope! The AccuSoft Cushion is not changing. We are simply introducing another method to order the Accusoft Cushion, specific to a user’s needs.
Q: When is it appropriate to use the Java Cushion to evaluate a client for a Custom AccuSoft Cushion?
A: Clients who present with pelvic asymmetry that reduces towards neutral, but persists in unique, though relatively less severe postural deviations, may be good candidates for specification of an AccuSoft Cushion by evaluating, adjusting, and measuring on a Java Cushion. Using the Java Cushion as an evaluator is a great place to start. If not successful, pull out the bags and capture a shape.
Q: Can the Java Cushion be used to evaluate a client for a Ride Custom 2 Cushion?
A: No. The off-loading design of the Custom 2 Cushion requires the precise client shape that results from utilizing our bead bag and vacuum pump method. The Ride Custom 2 Cushion material is firm and less forgiving by design. This is necessary for off-loading at-risk bony prominences, while safely supporting those parts of the body that can tolerate support.
Q: Is the Custom AccuSoft an off-loading cushion?
A: The AccuSoft Cushion is not a fully off-loading cushion. Two contour options are offered: 1) Ride Contour, made with Ride’s patented mechanism of support which reduces forces at high risk areas and provides slightly greater forces at low risk areas, and 2) Full Contact.
Give it a try! For additional information, please contact your area Ride Representative, or our product manager, Shelly Young, at 866.781.1633 x312.
In our last post, we discussed documenting the need for a custom wheelchair back or cushion vs. a prefabricated back or cushion. Here, we continue the documentation discussion…
Less Costly Alternatives?
Funding sources, including Medicare, expect clinicians to document the reason one custom product is selected over others that may be less costly. Here are some of the differentiating reasons that Ride Custom 2 Cushions and Ride Custom Backs may be selected over other custom cushions and backs.
Ride Custom Cushion:
• Unlike other custom-molded wheelchair cushions, Ride’s patented and evidence-based mechanism of support helps to enhance sitting stability and performance, while reducing the dangerous forces of pressure and shear from at-risk bony prominences. Jane’s inability to perform a functional weight shift places her at high risk for pressure injuries, and the design of the Ride Custom 2 Cushion is critical to maintaining her skin integrity.
• Unlike other custom-molded wheelchair cushions, the Ride Custom 2 Cushion is modifiable in the field, without factory intervention or cost, to accommodate changes in Jane’s pelvic presentation over time.
• Unlike other custom-molded cushions, the Ride Custom 2 Cushion manages heat and moisture and can be cleaned and sanitized to provide a healthy microenvironment. This is critical for Jane Doe as she resides in a warm, humid client, and is at risk for pressure injuries.
Ride Custom Back:
• Unlike other custom-molded backs, the Ride Custom Back has a thin profile and multi-axial hardware which enables precise adjustment of lateral orientation to bring the head and neck to midline over supported residual scoliosis. Jane requires the thin profile to maximize upper extremity range of motion and function, and requires the multi-axial hardware to adjust the position of the back to optimize her stability and postural alignment.
• Unlike other custom-molded backs, the Ride Custom Back manages heat and moisture, and can be cleaned and sanitized to provide a healthy microenvironment. Jane’s warm and humid environment make this medically necessary.
If you need assistance with documentation review for your Ride Custom Back and/or Cushion order, we can help, and at no cost to you! Contact our Reimbursement Department at (866) 781-1633 x 312.