In our last post, we discussed documenting the need for a custom wheelchair back or cushion vs. a prefabricated back or cushion. Here, we continue the documentation discussion…
Less Costly Alternatives?
Funding sources, including Medicare, expect clinicians to document the reason one custom product is selected over others that may be less costly. Here are some of the differentiating reasons that Ride Custom 2 Cushions and Ride Custom Backs may be selected over other custom cushions and backs.
Ride Custom Cushion:
• Unlike other custom-molded wheelchair cushions, Ride’s patented and evidence-based mechanism of support helps to enhance sitting stability and performance, while reducing the dangerous forces of pressure and shear from at-risk bony prominences. Jane’s inability to perform a functional weight shift places her at high risk for pressure injuries, and the design of the Ride Custom 2 Cushion is critical to maintaining her skin integrity.
• Unlike other custom-molded wheelchair cushions, the Ride Custom 2 Cushion is modifiable in the field, without factory intervention or cost, to accommodate changes in Jane’s pelvic presentation over time.
• Unlike other custom-molded cushions, the Ride Custom 2 Cushion manages heat and moisture and can be cleaned and sanitized to provide a healthy microenvironment. This is critical for Jane Doe as she resides in a warm, humid client, and is at risk for pressure injuries.
Ride Custom Back:
• Unlike other custom-molded backs, the Ride Custom Back has a thin profile and multi-axial hardware which enables precise adjustment of lateral orientation to bring the head and neck to midline over supported residual scoliosis. Jane requires the thin profile to maximize upper extremity range of motion and function, and requires the multi-axial hardware to adjust the position of the back to optimize her stability and postural alignment.
• Unlike other custom-molded backs, the Ride Custom Back manages heat and moisture, and can be cleaned and sanitized to provide a healthy microenvironment. Jane’s warm and humid environment make this medically necessary.
If you need assistance with documentation review for your Ride Custom Back and/or Cushion order, we can help, and at no cost to you! Contact our Reimbursement Department at (866) 781-1633 x 312.